General Dentistry in Burke VA and Chevy Chase MD
Preventive Dental Care
At Artisan Dental, teaching you about dental care and helping prevent larger problems is our highest priority. Scheduling regular exams and having professional cleanings, help our patients manage the levels of cavity-causing bacteria, and avoid the discomfort and cost of needing restorative dental treatment. Let us demonstrate how your oral hygiene habits at home are very important to the long term health of your teeth, gums, oral cavity, and even your overall well-being. We can also offer some information on how some diseases such as diabetes and heart disease have links to poor oral health, which emphasizes the importance of the mouth-body connection. If you live in Washington D.C., Burke, VA, Chevy Chase, or the surrounding area, we can examine you and let you know if you are showing any signs of the condition, along with making recommendations for how to prevent it. To schedule an appointment, call our Burke, VA office at (703) 455-7770 or our Chevy Chase office at (301) 652-1100.
Schedule An Appointment!
Cleanings from licensed, experienced hygenists are of great importance.
Why get cleanings?
Professional cleanings performed by a certified dentist or hygienist are just as important to your dental health as daily brushing and flossing. Using specialized tools and training, your hygienist or dentist will:
• Remove plaque build-up from the surfaces of teeth. (Bacteria in the mouth form plaque, which collects on teeth and causes decay, gum disease, and gingivitis.)
• Remove tartar from teeth surfaces. (Tartar, or calculus, is plaque that has become so hardened on the teeth that its removal requires special procedures. Tartar below the gum line is also an indicator of gum disease.)
• Remove surface stains from teeth through polishing.
Artisan Dental is committed to your dental health.
Prevent problems before they arise.
Preventive dental care is important throughout your life, no matter your age. By practicing good oral hygiene at home and scheduling regular checkups with your dentist, you can help keep your smile bright and healthy for many years to come. Here are a few simple ways that you can prevent the build-up of plaque and cavities:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day with a soft-bristled toothbrush. Use fluoride toothpaste to remove food particles and plaque from the tooth surfaces. Also be sure to brush the top surface of your tongue; this will remove any extra plaque-causing food particles, and help keep your breath fresh!
- Clean between your teeth by flossing at least once a day. You can also use a mouthwash to help kill bacteria and freshen your breath. Decay-causing bacteria can linger between teeth where toothbrush bristles can’t reach. Floss and mouthwash will help remove plaque and food particles from between the teeth and under the gum line.
- Eat a balanced diet, and try to avoid extra-sugary treats. Nutritious foods such as raw vegetables, plain yogurt, cheese, or fruit can help keep your smile healthy.
- Remember to schedule regular checkups with your dentist every six months for a professional teeth cleaning.
- Ask your dentist about dental sealants, protective plastic coatings that can be applied to the chewing surfaces of the back teeth where decay often starts.
- If you play sports, be sure to ask your dentist about special mouthguards designed to protect your smile.
If it’s been six months since your last dental checkup, then it’s time to contact our practice and schedule your next appointment!
Our concept is to have patients rethink the dental hygiene appointment. Traditionally, this block of time has been viewed by many as “just a 30 minute cleaning.” However, we know that it is so much more. For our patients, this is a time to focus on whole-body health, a time to share their feelings and concerns, and to put themselves and their dental needs first. The time we spend with our patients during their preventive care appointment is highly valuable to their long-term health and has a meaning that is constantly growing and evolving. We are able to thoroughly evaluate, diagnose, and effectively treat our patient with their overall health in mind.
The preventative care appointment is the most relaxing hour of the day and an appointment that is truly a welcomed experience for the person in the dental chair. With the proper mindset and attention to detail and comfort, we believe a hygiene appointment can be something that most people are able to look forward to. Our hygienists are, highly trained, gentle, and friendly.
Another aspect of redefining the appointment can involve freeing ourselves and our patients from the confines of insurance. Innovative concept of in office dental membership plans, when used properly, the whole question of insurance coverage becomes obsolete, and patients know that they are receiving a great deal upfront for the quality of care. Additionally, membership plans are an affordable option for people who would otherwise be uninsured.
We are always on a search to discover what will enable us to provide our patients with top-notch quality care.